Sunday, September 30, 2007

Moth



Today I went to the fairgrounds to drop off my entries in the "homemaking" building...At the registration table was a man who was in charge of this high school leadership program I was in about four years ago. I was pretty surprised when he remembered my name, since I was quieter and more painfully shy then than I am now..I was wishing I had straightened my hair..and put on some make-up..and could think of something to say..Then this other woman came in and he started talking to her (these chamber of commerce types know everyone, huh?)..She was pregnant and had a bag with jars of jelly or jam or something that she was going to enter..And I was suddenly really jealous. I had this inexplicable urge to be about ten years older and all cute and preggers, with jars of jam and adorable maternity clothes..not all lumpy-ponytail awkward college girl.

Usually, I try not to care what people think about me. And I try to be content with where I am right now, and not wish away the present dreaming about what may or may not happen. I tell myself that I may never get married or have kids, and that's okay, I'm okay with that (having teenage siblings at home makes me okay with that), but sometimes, there's nothing I want more. Sometimes I forget that God has the best in store for me, and his timing is always perfect.

I also have this habit of thinking that people don't notice me or know who I am. College has made this much more pronounced than it used to be, I think. Sometimes I feel invisible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I actually like it most of the time. I like passing under the radar, I don't want to draw attention to myself. I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt girl anyway. I've been known to hide from/avoid talking to people I know in the Wal-mart (I get this from my mother--we do this shamelessly and frequently)..
I am very happy not being in the spotlight. I can't tell if I'm getting quieter as I get older or not. I think that maybe I am. I just wanted to get this out there. Sometimes you just need to talk, ya know? I don't care if anybody reads it or not. It really is what I feel, though, and sometimes it's easier to put it out there on the internet for everybody (or nobody) to read than it is to talk about it with the people you know.

No comments: