Monday, April 23, 2007

The Light at the End of the Tunnel


Friday is my last day of classes; a week from Wednesday is my last final (history! agh!). And after that, I'm selling my textbooks and going to Barnes and Noble and stocking up on lots of good reads.

Ahh, to read again! Okay, so the last time I read for fun was actually Saturday. But for real, this semester, I'd say I've read about, oh, 3 books for myself.

This summer, on the other hand. Well.

I've got three books at home on my list. Three or four at B&N I'm staking out in my mind. And for 7 weeks, I'll be volunteering in the children's dept at the downtown library full time, so that's endless literature on my hands. It's gonna be great. I cannot wait.

I am a reading fool. Like, whoa.
In elementary school, I was famous for having so many Accelerated Reader points. I broke records. I got comments about it in my junior year of high school.
The picture at the top is all the books and magazines my friends and I took on our senior trip. (And only two of those are mine, plus one Teen Vogue). I still remember the different books I read and where I was and such.
So, I read Prep. By Lauren S...?? Anyway, I didn't like it. And then I read The Devil Wears Prada, the chick-lit made into a movie that summer. The book was okay, but I like the movie better. (The chick-lit-soon-in-theaters-this summer is The Nanny Diaries, and yes, it's on my list of books to buy). TDWP was my friend Cindy's. I took it to the beach and the tide came in and it got all wet, but she wasn't upset like she would've been had it been, say, Don Quixote. Umm, what else? Oh, I read Northanger Abbey. I was reading that one on the trip home, when we broke down on the side of the interstate and were stranded for approximately four hours. Good times. NA was my favorite book last summer, is my favorite Jane Austen book, and might be flat-out my favorite book ever. It's right up there. There was also this book published by MTV(???what?)..I don't remember the title, and I didn't read much of it, but I read bits and pieces cause the main character's name was Betsy. The Da Vinci Code was on the trip as well(It belonged to Lauren, as did the other copy of Prep up there in that picture). I didn't get around to reading it until we were back (I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, okay?). I remember that I read it in the urgent care waiting room when I got pink eye. And without all the sacrilege, I would've like it a lot better. But whatev.
This summer, the classic on the list is Jane Eyre. Cindy hates Jane Austen with a passion, but loves the Bronte sisters. I adore Jane Austen. We'll see what happens.
So, summer reading '07..we'll have a list and picture next Wednesday post-exam; it'll be my last post of the semester.

1 comment:

Ragan said...

I hope that the last week of classes goes well. Good luck selling the books back. I always hated that you only got a few dollars back yet paid almost $100 per book.